Thanks to the generous funding by the VolkswagenStiftung, successful applicants will receive a full stipend which covers the participation fee, board and lodging. It also includes traveling costs. However, please note that traveling costs can only be reimbursed after the IRSI, and only if you keep them as low as possible. Costs for visa applications etc. cannot be covered.
Who may apply?
First and foremost, applicants should have a genuine interest in human rationality! The Summer Institute targets doctoral students and early-stage PostDocs from the pertinent disciplines: psychology, philosophy, cognitive (neuro)science, or related fields. Advanced students with a Bachelor’s degree in one of these disciplines and with an outstanding interest in the topic are also encouraged to apply. A good command of the English language is required.
An important selection criterion will be international diversity and interdisciplinarity. Furthermore, women are especially encouraged to apply.
How to apply?
Applications must be in English language.
In order to apply, please submit the following documents:
- statement of interest, explaining why you would like to participate in the IRSI and what you expect from your participation (max. 2 pages)
- title and abstract of your own research project (max. 250 words, to be presented at the young scientists’ forum)
- curriculum vitae
- list of publications (if applicable)
- contact details of two referees
- scans of certificates (Master’s degree and/or PhD certificate; Bachelor’s degree [only if it is currently your highest degree]; please include a translation for documents that are not in English, German, or Spanish [own translations accepted], and please provide information on the respective grading system!
- estimate of traveling costs
++++++++++Application deadline is April 15, 2016!++++++++++
Submissions close at 24:00 o’clock Central European Summer Time minus 9 hours (corresponds to Pacific Standard Time)
Please send your application in a single PDF attachment to
Notifications of acceptance will be sent by May 15, 2016, at the latest.
We look forward to receiving your applications!
Students who are accepted into the IRSI are expected to make their own travel arrangements, i.e. to book the respective trips. Students coming from outside the European Union may have to fulfil special requirements in order to travel to Germany. Please refer to this page to find out whether you will have to apply for a visa, and also get in touch with the German embassy in your respective country to make sure you have all the required documents. Furthermore, you should start organizing your documents as early as possible in order to get them on time!